Pages

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Thai Yellow Chicken Curry

One of the first curries I made was a red chicken curry. I have sense made many different types. Here is a yellow chicken curry that I made last night for some friends. It is derived from my first red curry, but a little more sweet than spicy.

1/2 lb of chicken (cut into cubes)
1 potato (cut into small cubes)
1 onion (sliced into largish pieces)
1 cup of coconut milk
2 Tbsp of fish sauce
1 tsp of yellow curry paste
2-5 red chili peppers (seeded and chopped fine)
2 kaffer lime leaves
2 Tbsp of oil
1-2 tsp of brown sugar

In a pot, put your oil, chili peppers and curry paste and simmer for about a minute. Add in your onion and then your coconut milk. I usually also add about a 1/3 of a cup of water to the coconut milk. The potatoes soak up quite a bit of water. Add in your chicken and potato in to the pot and let it get to a simmer. Once it is simmering, I add in my fish sauce, lime leaves, and brown sugar. Let is stew for about a half hour and then if you want to get fancy, add in some sweet basil leaves about a minute before you serve it. Serve over rice or rice noodles.

happy eating!

No comments: