Pages

Friday, September 28, 2007

Taped Delay

Ok, So I am back from my two weeks off. I really took them off too. I rarely checked my email and didn't do any blogging at all. Too bad for you I know! Darius has made a fantastic recovery. At our two week appointment after the surgery, the doctor said that his mouth is healing perfectly. That is good news for us for sure. It has been a little difficult the past two weeks keeping him from putting his fingers and stuff he picks up in his mouth but we have persevered. We still have to go until November before he will be allowed harder foods, but he doesn't seem to mind all the pureed stuff:)

I have a nut cake recipe for you today, in fact it is Mrs Wilder's Nut Cake. I asked my grandmother who Mrs. Wilder was, thinking that it was some exotic french chef of some kind. But no, just the lady down the street, Mrs. Wilder. Nice, she does have a mean nut cake recipe though, so here you go:

7 eggs (separate yolks from whites)
1 1/4 cups sugar
2 cups walnuts (ground)
1/2 lemon (juiced)
3 1/4 oz semi sweet chocolate (ground)
1 Tbsp Rum extract (or if you want you can use real Rum)
3 Tbsp bread crumbs

Some kind of jam to put between the two cakes.  I have used apricot, raspberry and fig jams, and I have to say the fig is my favorite.

Combine 7 egg yolks and sugar and blend. Add in the remaining ingredients except 7 egg whites and mix. Whip your egg whites and then fold into the mixture. Poor into two 9-inch cake pans. Line your pans with parchment paper first, or your cake will fall apart when you take it out of the pan. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. It is going to come out very soft so be careful when you take the cakes out of the pan.  Once the cakes have cooled a bit, spread your jam over one of the cakes and then top with second cake.  Proceed to chocolate sauce below...

Top with a chocolate sauce:
6 1/2 oz semi sweet chocolates
2 Tbsp butter
1/3 cup milk

In a double boiler, melt chocolate, butter and milk together until smooth. Poor over the cake.

I am thinking that the best way to eat this cake would be slightly warm. So enjoy. Picture soon:)

No comments: