Pages

Monday, May 19, 2008

Dinner at the Schneider's (Tom Kha Soup)

A couple of months ago, Bridget Schneider called me and asked me to cook a dinner for her father as a gift. I agreed and finally, after several reschedules we had our dinner last night. Bill and Wanda, and Bill's niece and husband, and ViviAnne and I. I made Tom Kha, Red Chicken Curry, and Evil Jungle Prince for dinner. Sounds good huh! After dinner, we took a little walk out to Bill and Wanda's cabin and chatted for a while. Great fun and I was very happy to be able to cook for them again. Thanks Bridget! Even though it was a gift to her dad, I felt like it was a gift to all of us, plus Bridget's monetary donation was given to our scholarship fund for our student in Africa. Here is the Tom Kha soup recipe.

1/2 lb chicken breast (cut into bite size pieces)
1 onion (chopped into largish bite size pieces)
2 green onions (sliced thin)
1 inch section of ginger (sliced thin)
1/2 tsp of red curry paste
3 cups coconut milk
2 cups water
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup mushroom ( chopped)
1/4 cup lime juice
cilantro to garnish

Saute mushrooms in olive oil for a couple of minutes, add in onions and red curry paste for additional minute. Add coconut milk, water, chicken, lime juice and ginger; bring to boil and reduce to simmer. Simmer for about a hour. Garnish with cilantro and be ready for no left overs.

We had a friend who demanded that her husband buy this soup for her every day while she was pregnant... they spent several thousand dollars on this soup. It is one of the best soups I have made.

No comments: