Pages

Saturday, July 21, 2007

At the Alamo

Well, my hotel is just a block away from the historic Alamo in downtown San Antonio. It is just a tiny winy little fort, not too much to look at really. I think that most people who have never been to it hold it in such high regard, as a place where Texas nationals held back the forces of Mexico, if only for a short time. I don't think that I have every really been impressed by it. This is a bit odd as I grew up in Texas and the whole educational system is bent on teaching kids that Texas is the biggest, bestest place on earth. It is ironic that they failed with one of their most iconic historical sites. Such is life.

San Antonio is very nice though, I spent the better part of an hour last night walking through the River Walk area and checking out the places to eat, which there are a lot of. Tonight the SSR reception is at the Institute of Texan Cultures. Pause. Not to sure what this name implies. Pause. Or why Cultures is plural, but I will find out tonight!

No comments: