Pages

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Bonus Room Remodel

So, besides training for a half marathon in June, ViviAnne and I have decided it is time to finish up all our little home projects. Mainly this includes the basement bathroom and the bonus room, but also includes all the little fix-it things that happened over the last 4 years living in the house (three boys are amazingly destructive).

In February I finished tiling the basement bathroom. It was a lot of work, but the bathroom looks great, so I am glad to have done it. I have grouted the tile and sealed it once, but still need to go back over it all one more time, just to be safe. Then I will hook up the shower head and give it a whirl. When we built the house, all we put in there was the piping, so I am looking at a 4 and a half year bathroom remodel (good thing I don't get paid for this).

The next big ticket item is the bonus room. ViviAnne and I have come to realize that we need another room. The boys are starting to need a little more space as they are all crammed into one room right now. Plus the bonus room is by far the coolest room in the house, with nice views of both Kamiak Butte and Moscow Mountain. So it is time to do some remodeling, luckily the room is only framed and wired so changes will be easy...

First thing is to raise the ceiling. I want to have a ceiling fan in the room, but I find that in a normal height room I hit my hands on the blades if I raise them up, so I want to put the height of the center of the room up just a little bit. The roof itself is formed from the garage trusses so I have a bit of room to raise the ceiling into. I will need to redo some of the electrical wiring, phone, and TV cabling as well. The second thing to do is frame in a wall to create a small walk in closet. We will also upgrade the lighting fixtures to can lighting.

Once the framing and wiring changes are done, it will be time to insulate. Most likely we will hire out for this bit. But price may become an issue, so I may find myself doing this too. Sheet rocking, taping, painting, and flooring come after. I will post more once I have finished the first part, pictures too I hope!

Happy hammering.

No comments: