Pages

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Half Marathon

Yup, you read it right, I am going to do a half marathon. The half marathon I have chosen to do is in the foothills of Mt. Hood, the course travels around Lake Timothy 14.2 miles. You can learn more about it here. I have never done one before, in fact I have never really run more than a couple of miles, and I am a bit nervous about finishing the whole thing.


I have gotten my self a training program, and it looks pretty good. During the week I run a couple of times, about 3-5 miles each time, and then do some cross training and strength training on the off days. On Saturday or Sunday I go out for a longer run, gradually increasing the distance throughout the next 11 weeks. By the first week of June I will be doing 10-11 mile runs on the weekend.

I did my first weekend run today and feel great. I ran 4 miles along kitzmiller rd. and feel really good. I held a 9:11 minute pace, which I hope to improve on these next couple of weeks. The road I ran along is gravel and through the wheat field of the palouse. Right now, everything is a bit brown, but in a couple more weeks all the wheat will be up and everything will be emerald green, my favorite time of the year in the palouse. I also started tracking my runs with an online training website, Running Ahead. So if you want to follow me, go right ahead, I think I left my profile public on that site.

No comments: