Pages

Monday, February 25, 2008

Cook'n Restricted Diet

I got a call last night from an old friend. She wants me to cook dinner for her parents as gift from her to them. Her father, Bill, has some diet restrictions, so I am going to have to think outside the box a little. He really likes Thai food, which is great, but can't eat sugar, wheat or rice. This leaves me with basically a meat and veggie dish. I haven't posted on of these up here yet, so I will in the next week or so.
I have a couple of idea floating around in my head. The first is a veggie stir fry that uses coconut milk and red pepper. It is a hot dish and he likes that, so it should work well. The second is a beef and mushroom stir fry, it uses oyster sauce though, which has a fair amount of sugar. I was thinking I might be able to sub out the oyster sauce and instead use fish sauce and soy sauce. I will have to take a look to make sure these will work for him... Fun, fun, I love a challenge.

The best part about it all is that I have been doing these little dinners to raise money for a scholarship at a school in Africa, Nigeria specifically. My friend has offered to donate a little money to that cause, so I am happy about that.

No comments: