Pages

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Cheap, cheap, cheap

We got our chickens. We had been wanting fresh (and not store bought eggs) for some time, and broke down this last month and ordered 9 chickens. I built a chicken coop (kids helped me paint it red) and plan on building a fence over the next couple of weeks to keep the predators out and our chickens safe.

ViviAnne and I had set the alarm for 5:15 this morning, but had drifted back to sleep, when we got a call on the home phone from the post office that our baby chicks had arrived. We quickly went down stairs and had breakfast before sun up and I drove into town to pick them up. ViviAnne set up the brooder box in the basement bathroom while I was getting them. At the post office I was presented with a chirping box, which I needed to sign for and then headed back home.

Once home we all opened up the box and scooped our chicks into our brooder box and turned on our heat light. They are really cute and after 15 minutes or so they started to warm up and look around for food and water (which they found). I am pretty excited to go home tonight and play with them a little.

Can't wait to have a real egg and not the store bought variety.

No comments: