Pages

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Spring Time?

I spent the last two days (in the afternoon) working out in the yard. I raked up most of the dead weeds on our back slope between our house and garden area. The kids then helped me carry them to my fire pit where we burned them. They really like to play with fire, most kids do, I know I did. I remember during scouts that once you put a stick into the fire it had to stay there. If you disobeyed, you ended up having extra chores, like dishes or building a latrine or something like that. I do the same thing with the kids, so they ended up having to sweep the steps or sidewalk for a couple minutes instead of putting weeds into the fire.

My plan this week is to do some weed spraying out by the road and then get the garden prepared for spring planting. I also want to finish up my compost bins and build my chicken yard. It seems like a lot, but I don't think it will take to long. The chicken yard should be great, I am going to use some 8 foot logs that I got two years ago as posts and dig them 2 feet into the ground. I have some chicken wire fencing that I will put around the whole thing and tie to the logs. I will need to build a gate for the fence as well. I am a bit nervous about how the whole thing will hold up against coyotes and raccoons. I will try to bury a bit of fence into the ground as well and spread it out over the ground so they can't dig under the fence. It is going to get into the 60's this weekend, so it should be great for working in the yard. Wish me luck!

No comments: