Pages

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Summer Cabin Trip 07


Each and every year my good friend Josh Holland has a cabin trip in August. His parents' cabin is in the Wallowa Mnts, right at the base of Mount Joseph, named after Chief Joseph. He has been doing this for quite some time now, more than 12 years I think. I have been to about 6 or 7 of them, half is pretty good considering that we had three kids in the last five years. He use to do it on the same weekend as the Blues and Booze festival, but it got to be to crazy in Joseph and around the lake, so he moved it to the week before WSU starts classes.

The Eagle Cap Wilderness Area offers some of the best hiking and backpacking in the U.S. I have only been a couple of miles in, but plan on backpacking it fairly extensively once my kids get a little older. The surrounding area also has some great little rivers and creeks for fly fishing Rainbow, Brook and Brown Trout. The lake itself, at over 300 ft deep has Lake Trout, but you are going to need a boat and down rigger equ. to fish it. I might try fishing the shores this weekend with Liam.

We got a flat tire on Saturday evening around 7:15PM. We were able to make it back to Josh's cabin but we didn't feel comfortable driving 90 miles back to Lewiston on the donut tire. So we will be going back down again this Friday. We will take all the kids this time and maybe Katie, Darcy and Charlotte to stay the night and play at the lake on Saturday morning. Liam really wants to go fishing, so I think I should take him out early in the morning and try the lake a little after dawn.

Fun weekend! and I am looking forward to another.

2 comments:

Nathan Fireborn said...

I am glad you took so many pictures, Justin! Its great to see the scene again.

Anonymous said...

Good post.